2017 movie releases

The most anticipated movies of 2017

Photo Courtesy of Wikimedia via Creative Commons

2017 movie-going will be filled with sequels, superheroes, and reboots,” says Movie Insider. This year is said to be a stupendous year in the movie department; there are already multiple movies scheduled to come out each month, including numerous exciting sequels and prequels. Some of the movies’ titles are subject to change, but the general plots will remain the same. Here are several movies that people are looking forward to this year.

A Dog’s Purpose is a fantasy and drama film that features well-known actors such as Dennis Quaid and Britt Robertson. The movie looks into the story of a dog who searches for his purpose over the course of several lifetimes with different owners. A Dog’s Purpose is based off the book of the same title.

Logan is the next installment of the popular X-men series. Hugh Jackman returns as Wolverine and as a mentor to a mutant girl who has two claws rather than three. He must protect her and others from an evil government operation that turns mutant children into killing machines. This will be the third Wolverine spinoff.

Emma Watson will play Belle in this 2017 rendition of the famous fantasy/romance Disney movie originally released in 1991. In this prominent film, a young girl falls in love with a monstrous beast. Other adaptations of animated movies like this one are Cinderella (2015), Maleficent (2014), and The Jungle Book (2016). Kate Arcia, a sophomore at BHS who is very excited to view Beauty and the Beast says, “Beauty and the Beast was one of my favorite movies as a kid, so I am excited for the nostalgia that comes with it. I am also amazed by the level of CGI animation that is being used to create a ton of characters. Plus- Emma Watson is actually perfect.” Arcia is just one of many people looking forward to March 17.

The eighth movie in the Fast and Furious series features Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, and Dwayne Johnson. IMDb summarizes the movie as, “When a mysterious woman seduces Dom into the world of crime and a betrayal of those closest to him, the crew face trials that will test them as never before.” This film is bound to be action-packed with a main theme of deception.

The first Guardians of the Galaxy made a whopping 773.3 USD in the box office two years ago. Now, it returns with a Volume 2; this includes another awesome soundtrack and continues the team’s adventures as they discover the mystery of Peter Quill’s real family.

Gal Gadot will play Diana Prince (Wonder Woman) along with Chris Pine as Steve Trevor. Wonder Woman leaves her all-female island and searches to reveal all her powers in this action-packed film.

Cinemablend.com says, “After five Sony movies that featured two different Peter Parkers (in Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield), Spider-Man is now in the hands of Marvel Studios, and is ready to make a major impact on the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.” The official plot for Spider-Man Homecoming has not been released yet, but cinamablend.com adds, “We know that Spider-Man: Homecoming will deal with a teenage Peter Parker figuring out how to juggle his home life, and social life, while also being a new superhero. If we can take anything away from the title, we also fully expect a sequence where Parker is racing across town on a series of webs while trying to make it in time for the school dance.” Many find it interesting that the movie will be set in the year Peter Parker is a sophomore in high school.

In the invigorating DC comics movie of the Justice League Film Series, Batman (Ben Affleck), Superman (Henry Cavill), Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot), the Flash (Ezra Miller), Aquaman (Jason Momoa), and Cyborg (Ray Fisher) come together to fight the vile Steppenwolf (Ciarán Hinds).

Yet another Star Wars movie is being released this year, and this one will answer questions fans have been asking since Return of the Jedi. IMDb says, “Having taken her first steps into a larger world in Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015), Rey continues her epic journey with Finn, Poe and Luke Skywalker in the next chapter of the saga.” BHS sophomore Amanda Kraemer says, “Star Wars: Episode VIII has the entire world excited because it is Star Wars for Heaven’s Sakes. These movies have been in production for so long that every generation remembers one premiering during their adolescence. Everyone wants to see what’s going to happen next.” Kraemer’s opinion is shared by numerous viewers of this wonderful, fictional world.

A freshman at BHS, Annalise Gellene, says, “2017 is going to be a great year for movies because so many great movies’ sequels are coming out. Personally, I am very excited for Guardians of the Galaxy 2 because Guardians of the Galaxy was the movie [where] I fell in love with Science Fiction.” Ideally, these films and more being released this year should keep everyone on the edge of their seats and leaving the theater wanting to watch them again. But the only way to find out is to go and see these movies. Visit sites such as fandango.com to view movie times and purchase tickets!