A green thumbs up for Battlefield

An in depth look at Environmental club

Pictured are members of the Environmental club collecting Battlefield’s recycling. Photo by Amber Mahmood.

The Environmental Club has long done many things within Battlefield High School. Contributing to the school, they clean the streams and handle the recycling. The club’s primary focus is educating the Battlefield community on the environment and ways that students can lend a hand.

According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), recycling, “Reduces the amount of waste sent to landfills and incinerators, conserves natural resources such as timber, water and minerals, increases economic security by tapping a domestic source of materials, prevents pollution by reducing the need to collect new raw materials, saves energy, supports American manufacturing and conserves valuable resources, and helps create jobs in the recycling and manufacturing industries in the United States.” As evident in the EPA’s findings, recycling is a critical piece to maintaining the well-being of our planet. Like the EPA, the environment club sees the value of recycling and its significant benefits. This is why the club chose to take over the school’s recycling entirely, collecting it from classrooms, sorting through it, and disposing of it properly.

Even after contributing in such a huge way, the club wants to do more. Battlefield Senior and member of the Environmental Club leadership team, Emily Payne, spoke on the club’s hard work, stating that, “This year, unlike previous years, we want to make a more direct impact in the school.” Payne expanded on the new projects that the members are taking part in this year, “We are working on painting the recycling bins to make them more colorful and introducing companies to the students and selling things to help students be more sustainable.” This will hopefully entice students to make more sustainable choices in their daily lives.

The Environmental club also lends a hand where they can. After being recruited for assistance by SCA President, Kirt Boyd, they assisted in a project to beautify the reflection garden by planting flowers, meant to remember those gone too soon. One member, Ian Novak commented on his involvement in the project as well as  beyond that, saying, “some days after school I do pick up litter and other things left behind.” The garden has become an important symbol for many Battlefield students, making the Environmental club’s contributions to it extremely impactful.

Helping the environment and encouraging others to do the same gives them a sense of purpose. Through all of their projects and activities, their goal is clear. With all of the club’s dedication and hard work, the Battlefield community is more green than ever!