This lodge has nothing to do with wolves…

The Masonic Lodge in Haymarket

By Emma Kelly and Theo Drescher, Authors

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Many students at Battlefield drive through Haymarket countless times. Some may even know it like the back of their hand, from Cookies & Cream to Fosters and then to the old rail car. But what a lot of people do not notice is the strange white building near the railroad crossing labeled “Hay Market Masonic Lodge  No. 313, A.F & A.M.”

Believe it or not, that building has a long and “rich” history within the town of Haymarket. Named after the original town, Hay Market, the lodge was officially chartered in 1911 by the Grand Lodge of Virginia. Freemasons, an mysterious society dating back to 1700, have actually been meeting in Haymarket for 107 years. The Freemasons used to meet in various locations around the town in the 1800’s, until they built the lodge where it is today.

In its early years, the town of Haymarket was chartered in 1999 by a set of judges, lawyers, and clerks who were all masons in the 1700’s. This group pushed for the establishment of mason lodge which later came to light. The lodge was built in 1802 as lodge number 67. However, the charter for this lodge was an unknown Confederate soldier in Centreville, VA  who was hung on the wall of the grand Secretary of the Grand Lodge of Virginia. The soldier then disappeared after his death and the rest of the masons searched for him unsuccessfully forcing the reestablishment as lodge 313 in 1911.

It was formerly named after one of their “ Most Worshipful Masters,” William F. Drinkard, until 1962. According to the Haymarket lodge’s website, “after honoring Most Worshipful Brother Drinkard for fifty-one years and at times suffering some embarrassment with the name Drinkard, the Lodge passed a resolution to recommend to the Grand Lodge that its name be changed to the name of the first Lodge in Haymarket, i.e., Hay Market (two words). Subsequently at the Grand Annual Communication of the Grand Lodge of Virginia in 1962, the proposed resolution was adopted.” Since then, the lodge has been known as Hay market lodge 313 and has stayed put.

The Freemasons, much like any other private society, choose to remain mostly anonymous. Still, the Masons have numerous pages online explaining what they do and when they meet for any prospective members. There are many levels within the Freemasons, but the basic idea when joining is that the prospective must know an already established member and petition for their own acceptance. It is also important to note that, although not recognized as any specific protestant religion, joining the Freemasons has been historically frowned upon by many major churches, including the Catholic church being most notable.

For those who feel they want to become involved with the Haymarket chapter of Freemasons their website explains, “Stated Communications are the 2nd Monday at 7:30pm. Prospective members are encouraged to join us for dinner at 6:30pm. For information about Freemasonry or how to petition for membership, contact us, come visit during an open monthly dinner, or visit the Grand Lodge of Virginia website.” The Freemasons are not known to many in Haymarket, so maybe next drive through town, keep an eye out for the historic Hay Market Lodge building.

How long have you been living in Haymarket?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...