NHL’s Winter Classic

A look into the NHL’s throwback hockey game.

Chris Beckworth, Author

On January 2nd, 2017, the St. Louis Blues will be taking on the Chicago Blackhawks in one of the most anticipated regular season games for hockey fans. The Winter Classic is an outdoor professional ice hockey game that is hosted by the NHL every year. The Winter Classic is different from normal games because of its outdoor location. Hockey fans will pay higher ticket prices to experience a throwback style hockey game. The upcoming game will be located in St. Louis Missouri, hometown advantage for the Blues.

Other than the Stanley Cup, the NHL Winter Classic is the second most watched NHL game. Fans all across the country will be gathered around their tv’s on January 2nd. Many students at Battlefield High School have been anxiously waiting for this game. Sophomore Kendall Miller  says “I’m very excited for the Winter Classic, I think it will be a very close game, but the Blackhawks will come out with the dub.” On the contrary, sophomore Corbin Skaff, says “The St. Louis Blues are going to kill the Blackhawks on January 2nd, I’d bet money on it.”

Although the Winter Classic may not count for more than just a regular season game, it means much more to the St. Louis Blues. 2017 will be the 50th anniversary season for the Blues, along with a handful of other teams. According to nicerink.com Gary Bettman, commissioner of the NHL says “With the Blues celebrating their 50th anniversary, the league celebrating its 100th, and with Busch Stadium wrapping up its 10th year of service to the St. Louis community, there will be plenty of history to commemorate, and lots of excitement to anticipate as the Blackhawks and Blues resume a rivalry that has provided so many fantastic memories.” To add to Gary Bettman’s statement, Tom Stillman, chairman of the St. Louis Blues says “We are honored to host the 2017 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic at Busch Stadium.” For everyone that is involved in the unique hockey game, including the fans, it means a lot more to them than just a game.

On January 2nd, make sure to tune into your local sports channel to experience a hockey unlike most others, a game that means a lot to not just the players and coaches, but all hockey fans over the world.