A review of Bobcat Varsity Cheerleading and States

A look at the Varsity Cheerleading season, and the State Championship

Last year the Battlefield Varsity Cheerleading team went to states for the first time and placed 3rd. This year the Bobcats returned to states after a hard fought season.

The Battlefield Varsity competitive cheerleading season started off with our Lady Bobcats placing 2nd in the All County competition that Battlefield hosted on September 26th. They then went on to place 1st the next week, at the District Competition for the third year in a row. The top four teams in each competition move forward to regionals. Battlefield’s biggest competitor at Regionals is Robinson High School, who won states last year.

At the first round of Regionals, on Saturday October 22,  Battlefield can in second place, Robinson High School winning by just 30 points.

This brought both teams along with 2 others to round two. On Saturday October 29th, round two of Regionals,  Battlefield came in 2nd, with Robinson taking first.

This second place win would take them to states, along with Grassfield High School, Hylton High School, and Robinson High School.

On Saturday November 5, the Bobcats traveled to Richmond for the Virginia Cheerleading State Championships. There the Bobcats performed a perfect routine, and placed 4th.

The top 3 teams were co-ed teams, meaning they had both male and female athletes. This leads to the thought that our Battlefield Bobcats are the best all girl cheerleading team in the state. Virginia is one of the few states in the country that does not separate the co-ed from all girl teams.

Cheer captain and senior Alyssa Mosley shares, “Last year’s season was different because we had never been to States before and we were really hungry to make it there. This year we knew we had the ability, which made it a more relaxed atmosphere. We knew we could do it. I think we did really well at states, we were one of the only teams that had zero deductions ( mistakes). We were really happy with both of the performances, and proud that we had reached all of our goals for the season.”

This was Mosley’s 4th, and last year on the Bobcat varsity cheerleading team. “I definitely think this season was one of the best. We hit every goal, and performed our best throughout the season and that’s all I could have asked for.”

As the off season starts, our Lady Bobcats will be working hard to prepare for the the 2017-2018 season. We hope to see them at States next year! Go Bobcats!